Due to a transmission main break in the downtown Evergreen area, Evergreen Metro is issuing a precautionary boil water advisory. Learn more.



Local Services | Emergencies | Administration & Billing | Water | SewerService Connections | Watershed

Local Services

How do I contact the City of Evergreen?

Evergreen is an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Colorado. There is no "City Government". Public services normally provided by a city are split up among several agencies:

Highways- State of Colorado (Evergreen Parkway, HWY 74)
Roads- Jefferson County, Clear Creek County (Upper Bear)
Planning & Zoning- Jefferson County, Clear Creek County (Upper Bear)
Schools- Jefferson County, Clear Creek County (Upper Bear)
Fire- Evergreen Fire District
Law Enforcement- Jefferson County, Clear Creek County, and Highway Patrol
Water and Sewer- Various special districts operated under the administration of Evergreen Metropolitan District
*Please contact the respective agencies with concerns.

Where do I get trash service?

Evergreen Metro does not provide trash pickup. Please consult the yellow pages to find a local company.

Do you have the phone number for the Rec Center? Is there ice-skating on the Lake?

Here is a list of frequently asked for phone numbers:
Chamber of Commerce 303-674-3412
Denver Park & Rec 303-964-2580
Driver's License 303-674-4152
Evergreen Disposal 303-278-8600/Landfill 303-674-4147
Evergreen High School 303-674-3341/982-5140
Wulf Recreation Center 720-880-1200
Fire Department (non-emergency) 303-674-3145
Evergreen Golf Course 303-674-4128
Evergreen Lake House 720-880-1300
Library 303-674-0780
Post Office 1-800-275-8777
RTD Schedule 303-299-6000
Skating Hotline 720-880-1391
Xcel Energy 303-895-4999
Senior's Resource Center 303-674-2843
For additional information, please visit the Evergreen Area Chamber of Commerce's website by clicking here

Where do I get information on building permits, codes, signage, or roads?
Contact Jefferson County at 303-279-6511.


Who do I call about a sewer backing up?

To report a sewer backing up, call us at 303-674-4112. If this is after office hours, please call us at 303-688-7115.

Administration & Billing

Who do I contact about billing? Can I pay my bills online? Can I pay by credit card?

Evergreen Metropolitan District now offers secure Online Bill Payment. (click the Xpress Bill Pay link below).

Xpress Bill Pay Logo

Note: Credit Card Payments and Electronic Funds Transfer is now available through the Xpress Bill Pay link. There is no charge for Electronic Funds Transfer. A $5.00 convenience fee for Credit Card Payments will be assessed on the credit card transaction and added to the amount of your payment.

For information on how you can pay your bill, call the administration office at 303-674-4112. Office hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

When is there a Board Meeting?

There are three different Districts that provide service to the residents of Evergreen. To get the correct date, time location and agenda for a specific district, please contact us at 303-674-4112, or send us an e-mail to recept@evergreenmetrodistrict.com.

How much are tap fees?

A schedule of current rates and tap fees can be found on on the Rates & Fees page.

Can I tour one of the treatment facilities?

We offer tours of both the water and wastewater plants. To set up a tour, contact us at call 303-674-4112, or send us an e-mail to recept@evergreenmetrodistrict.com.

How do I get to your office?

The Evergreen Metropolitan District office is located at 30920 Stagecoach Blvd. From Evergreen Parkway, go West on Stagecoach Blvd. The office is located about ¼ mile up the road on the South side. (We are the first building after Taco Bell)


Why does my water have a weird taste or smell?

Everyone has a different sense of smell and taste, what may smell or taste strange to one person, another may not even notice. This often depends on where a person is from and what water they had been used to drinking. If someone's drinking water source had been from a well for a long time, then tried drinking city water it may very well taste and smell completely different. Even so, the water is always completely safe to drink.

During the spring and summertime when it gets warmer, the temperature of Evergreen Lake rises, stirring up the lake causing an increase in natural organic matter, which sometimes will cause a different taste or smell. During the winter time as it starts to get colder, people's home boilers start to turn on more often, again causing the taste and smell to change. New plumbing fixtures, or new carpet in the home can combine with drinking water chemistry to create odors as well.

My water pressure is too high or too low. My pipes are making a ticking or knocking sound.

Water pressure is supplied to the area from water tanks throughout Evergreen. Water pressure is directly related to the elevation of the water in the tanks. Except in the case of abnormal or emergency circumstances, such as a water main break, the pressure in the water mains does not change.

If your water pressure is much lower than normal, check with your neighbors. If their pressure is lower than usual as well, it could very well indicate a problem in the water distribution system such as a main break. If the low pressure is only in your home, be sure to check other faucets and fixtures as well - if the pressure is low in the kitchen sink but normal at the bathroom sink, it is most likely the aerator (or strainer) at the end of your faucet that needs to be cleaned. If the pressure is low throughout your whole home, your pressure regulating valve (PRV) may need to be adjusted.

If your water pressure is too high, it is almost always an indication that your PRV needs to be replaced.

Sometimes people will hear a knocking or ticking sound in their pipes when water is running. Though it may seem like it is coming from the water meter, this is almost never the case. Almost always the knocking or ticking is caused by a faulty PRV. Often we find that household PRV's has a life expectancy of around 10 years before the go bad and need to be replaced.

Do I need a water softener?

Water softness refers to the level of calcium and magnesium present in the water. Evergreen Metro District's water is considered soft from the source. The water treatment process does not significantly change this. Therefore, a water softening system is of no value and is not necessary. Soft water also extends the lifetime of plumbing pipes and fixtures by reducing scale build-up in pipes and fittings.

Who is responsible for the water service line to my home and the water meter?

The Customer is responsible for the water service line, meter and other equipment necessary for measuring the water supplied. This includes the water meter, water meter yoke, meter read transmitter, and the service line beginning at the first shut off valve from the water main to the home. Evergreen Metro District owns, installs and maintains the water service line between the water main and the first shut off valve (commonly identified as the stop & waste valve). Evergreen Metro District has maintained the water meter and the associated meter reading equipment, provided that these items have not been damaged due to customer negligence.


How do I report a sewer odor?

To report an odor you suspect is coming from one of the treatment facilities or sewer system, call 303-674-4112, or send us an e-mail to recept@evergreenmetrodistrict.com.

Where does the sewage go?

The Evergreen service area is divided into three treatment plant basins. Customers residing in the North Evergreen area from I-70 to Hilltop Drive off of Evergreen Parkway are connected to the sewer system feeding the West Jefferson County Metro District wastewater facility. The plant is located at the end of Lewis Ridge Road. Evergreen Metropolitan District wastewater plant services the area from Hilltop Drive to Brook Forest Road off of Hwy 73, Upper Bear Creek Road into Clear Creek County, and East to Meadow Drive. The plant is located on Meadow Drive. Kittredge Sanitation and Water District flows to their own plant located on Hwy 74 East of town. For more information, go the wastewater page of the website.

Where do odors come from at the wastewater plant?

Controlling odors is one of the most important, yet challenging aspects of wastewater treatment plants. Even though we work hard to keep the odors contained within the proximity of the plant, some odors naturally drift into surrounding areas. Common odors found in and around treatment plants range in smells from rotten eggs and ammonia, due to the naturally occurring by-product of hydrogen sulfide, to earthy and organic which are caused by organic compounds in the treatment process. We are generally able to keep the odors contained within the confines of the treatment plant, however, sometimes that can be a challenge. Weather conditions, drastic temperature changes(odors are typically worse at higher temperatures), wind direction, wind velocity and increased summer activity are typical issues when dealing with odors. Another reason this can be a challenge is when we need to perform plant maintenance (whether planned or unplanned) and plant upgrades to the treatment process. When equipment needs to be shut down for repairs or for upgrades, it decreases our ability to curb these odors but unfortunately it has to be done to maintain our capability to treat the wastewater which in turn, protects the environment, wildlife and residents. We understand that it can be a nuisance, so please know we work very hard to correct odor issues anytime they arise.

Why does wastewater need to be treated?

It's a matter of caring for our environment and for everyone in the community that could possible be affected. The major aim of wastewater treatment is to remove as much of the suspended solids and harmful organisms before the final product, effluent, is discharged back into the river. Wastewater is basically a term for used water. Wastewater includes substances such as human waste, food scraps, oils, soaps and chemicals. Storm runoff and infiltration also find their way into this wastewater which can introduce any substance that is on the road surface. Clean water is critical to plants and animals that live in and around the river and they depend on the environment that they live in to remain as unchanged and as close to the natural product as possible. Big changes can have dramatic effects on ecosystems and can result in serious consequences.

Service Connections

Do I have water or sewer service? What District am I in?

Please see the PDF below for a map outlining the boundaries between the Evergreen, West Jefferson, and Kittredge districts:

Evergreen Area District Boundaries 2019

If you are purchasing or own a property that you think may be receiving EMD water or sewer service, you may call our Administrative office for an account inquiry. Information will be provided to notify if you are on water and sewer service, the size and location of your water meter and billing status.

Those wishing to have water and/or sewer service from EMD should confirm that service is available through the New Services & Environmental Department. If service to a single home or business is available, complete a new service application and return it to the New Services & Environmental Department for review.

Information regarding your Water & Sanitation District is available through your County's tax records for your property. Mill Levy Information for individual properties will list all entities that may assess a tax to your property. An example of a property Included into the Evergreen Metropolitan District is below. Your property might be Included into the West Jefferson County Metropolitan District or Kittredge Sanitation and Water District. Both are managed by Evergreen Metropolitan District.

How do I get water and sewer service?

In order to be able to connect to the public water or sewer system, your property must first be Included into a water and sanitation District for service. Inclusion into a District can be verified through the properties tax records or by calling our Administrative office for confirmation via our GIS Program. The Inclusion process can take up to 2 months to complete, so any property that intends to connect to either water or sewer utilities should verify their inclusion status prior to requesting service.

If a property is or can be included, the next step is to determine the proximity of water or sewer mains to the property. This determination is made by calling the New Services and Environmental Department. Most water and sewer mains are located within county roadways, however there are many utilities that are located cross country or through properties by way of easements. If a water or sewer main is directly available for connection to an existing property, then the property owner can apply for service. If these utilities are not directly available, then the property owner can pay to have them extended into their property or approach a neighboring property to allow access to reach the utility.

EMD collects Tap Fees for all new residential, commercial and institutional projects for which service can be provided. Tap Fees are a non-recurring fee charged to Developers to assist EMD in paying for major capital improvements. Tap fee rates are reviewed periodically and adjusted accordingly in conformance with sound rate making principles and practices for utility systems. Tap fees for residential or commercial service is dependent on the District in which the property resides, the current status of the properties water and sewer systems and for residential purposes, the existing or proposed size of the unit.

Inquiries for residential or commercial water and sewer service should be directed to the New Services and Environmental Division.

Where are my water and sewer lines located?

Since water and sewer service lines have never been part of the District's system, no attempt was made to maintain accurate records of the locations of such lines until very recently. The District is relatively aware of where your water and sewer lines are connected to our system, however the exact routing from the main lines through individual properties and to structures had been largely undocumented. If you are planning any construction or excavation inside your property, you should first call the Utility Notification Center of Colorado at 811 or 800-922-1987. If a diagram of your service line was made at the time of installation, a copy of this diagram and or a picture from our GIS program can be provided upon request. Known locations of water and sewer mains will be painted of flagged where requested.

Most water service lines will be buried 6 feet deep while most sewer services are between 3 and 6 feet deep. Water service lines made from copper or steel pipe can be located electronically with a moderate degree of accuracy. Locating of private water lines from the District's shut-off valve to the structure will be done by a private locate company. For a list of private locate companies visit https://www.colorado811.org/private-locate-companies/#1556173503549-baddfaaf-4d0f.

Because sewer service lines are made of PVC or clay and not of a conductive material, location of these services must be performed by a private company that will need to insert a cable or other device into the service line to assist in it being located and marked. After these services are marked, the District should be notified so that we can make a complete service sketch for future locate requests.

All repairs or replacements to private service lines should be inspected by District staff for documentation and to ensure that the lines are being properly installed.


What is my watershed? How is it monitored?

Evergreen Metropolitan District gets its water from Evergreen Lake. Evergreen Lake is a manmade reservoir within the Bear Creek Watershed. The upper watershed area that drains into Evergreen Lake is approximately 106 square miles. Most of this area is National Forest service land or designated wilderness area. The lower Bear Creek watershed contains the sub basins of Cub Creek, North and south Turkey Creeks and several other tributaries that flow into Bear Creek between Evergreen Lake and Morrison.

The Bear Creek Watershed starts at Summit Lake near the top of Mount Evans and contains several sub drainages and tributaries that collect water along the way. Most of our water comes from snowpack that melts throughout the spring and summer. This is supplemented by runoff from rainstorms. Countless naturally occurring springs also contribute to flow throughout the year, but these too are influenced by snowpack and seasonal precipitation.

Water quality within the watershed is monitored by the Bear Creek Watershed Association (BCWA). BCWA is one of the oldest watershed associations in Colorado and includes a diverse membership of general-purpose governments, special districts, holders of wastewater discharge permits, water providers and interested local, regional, state and federal agencies.

BCWA collectively develops, maintains & implements a local environmental & water quality monitoring, management plan that meets reservoir & watershed applicable water quality standards and beneficial use classifications as adopted by the Colorado Water Quality Control Commission.

BCWA has conducted a generally continuous collection of water quality data since 1990. Data collection includes specific chemical, physical and biological parameters. Data is collected monthly and bi-monthly at Bear Creek Reservoir, Evergreen Lake and along Turkey Creek and Bear Creek. The Association meets water quality data sampling and analyses objectives established in the Bear Creek Reservoir Control Regulation # 74.

The Association provides watershed reporting as posted on the Association website www.bearcreekwatershed.org, which serves to keep federal, state, and local governments and others informed on the state of the watershed.

BCWA has over 20 temperature loggers located throughout the upper and lower watershed. These devices record and store water temperatures every 30 minutes throughout the year and are a vital tool in monitoring seasonal and daily changes in temperature. EMD staff downloads the data from each logger a limited number of times during the year. These temperature loggers may be anchored to the stream bed or connected to the stream bank by a cable. If you see any device like the one pictured below, please do not handle it or remove it from the water.